Living Independently

Promoting independent living with support, in high quality homes

Nurturing a thriving community of independent residents

Read CQC Report

St John’s is renowned for its high-quality almshouse provision and its care services have been rated by the Care Quality Commission as ‘good’ overall.

We currently have four almshouses, providing more than 90 individual apartments. These have been thoughtfully re-modelled to make them fit for 21st century living, giving our residents state-of-the-art, quality accommodation.  Importantly, our almshouse community supports and empowers one another to live as valued and independent members of society.

We are always looking to improve the services we offer, and will continue to do so as we look to replicate our service in different environments in the future.  

"I still cannot believe my good fortune in finding a safe haven for my later years, and so soon. After the stressful haste of an unforeseen change of circumstances, I now take pleasure in settling down at a leisurely pace."

Combe Park resident
“Staff treat me kindly like an adult, very caring. If there is a problem, they react quickly. I am very happy”

City Centre resident
“I am passionate about the people we support here. Person-centred care is what we provide to people here. It is care tailored to their needs."

Staff member


St John's has a Safeguarding Policy and Procedure. If you would like to discuss this with us, please do not hesitate to contact our Head of Care & Community Services, Lynn Toman on 01225 486402 or

Our 2019 CQC Inspection

The Care Quality Commission carried out an inspection of St John's care service on 22 and 23 May 2019 and we are delighted to announce that we received an overall rating of 'Good'.
View Inspection Summary

Living Independently FAQs

What does it cost to live in an almshouse?

Charges will vary depending on circumstance.

Residents pay a weekly maintenance charge, which includes a rental charge, heating and water rates. The charge also covers general repairs, cleaning of communal areas, gardening and landscaping. Some residents may be entitled to state benefits.

Does St John’s have a care service?

Yes, it is called the Independent Living Service.

Our service is fully compliant with the Care Quality Commission’s requirements and provides care and support to individuals to enable them to remain in their own homes. There is a charge for this service, although some residents may be eligible for financial assistance.

Who provides the care?

Our team of Independent Living Assistants.

The service is managed by our Resident Support Manager who is registered with the CQC. All our Independent Living Assistants receive a thorough induction process to equip them with the skills needed to provide effective care and support for our residents.

All staff are committed to treating residents with dignity and respect.

Do you have different levels of care?

Yes, our service is tailored to suit personal needs.

Our Independent Living Service is registered with CQC and able to provide personal care. We can also offer a service tailored to meet personal needs. This includes (but is not limited to) chaperoning, shopping assistance, housekeeping and support with activities.


Who can live in your almshouses?

There are three main requirements:.

You should be at least 65 years old.

You should be in need by reason of financial hardship.

You should live in Bath or the surrounding area.

Our almshouses are aimed at those without the means to pay market costs on private rentals or without the capital asset of a house.

Next steps

Unfortunately, our list for Almshouse accommodation is currently closed to new applicants.

If you are seeking Supported/Sheltered Housing, other potential options available are: Age UK Bath on 01225 466135. They will be able to provide advice and a list of Supported Housing Providers in Bath.  Alternatively, you can register with BaNES Home Search; they have a number of over 55 sheltered/supported housing properties within the Bath locality. Their website link is, or telephone 01225 396118.

billboard section