City Centre Almshouses
On the site of the original medieval “hospital” there are now three Almshouse buildings, originally dating back to the 1700s, and a Chapel, located around a central courtyard. Close by are two other Almshouses – St Catherine’s Hospital, built in 1829, in Bilbury Lane and Rosenberg House, in Westgate Buildings.
Chapel House was the first of the city centre Almshouses to undergo major refurbishment. Work began in mid-March 2009 and was completed in December of the same year, after a £1.8 million total renovation.
It is appropriate that Chapel House represents the first phase of the St John’s Modernisation Programme, as it was probably built on the site of the original 12th century infirmary hall, attached to the Chapel of St Michael’s Within.
Construction of the Almshouse, Chapel House, took place between 1967 and 1969 and was designed according to the rules and regulations of that period. By today’s care standards, the rooms were small, the kitchens and bathrooms were cramped and the general environment dark and uninspiring, so the Board of Trustees decided to invest in a comprehensive modernisation project.
Now, 10 state-of-the-art apartments have been created, 8 of which have full wheelchair access, modern specially-fitted kitchens, disability bathrooms, specialist emergency systems and fire alarms.
Work has also been completed on Phase Two, to create 15 fully supported flats in state of the art facilities. The next phase will be Rosenberg House and other phases, involving Chandos House and St Catherine's Hospital will be reviewed accordingly, once phase Three has been done.
For further information about the modernisation phases, please contact the Director of Investment and Income Development on 01225 486443.